At StrongLoop we’re examining the entire application development lifecycle. We not only want to make it easier and faster to develop robust Node.js applications on top of our distribution, but also provide any easy and seamless way to maintain them in production. To this end, I am excited to announce that StrongLoop has acquired NodeFly’s Node.js monitoring solution. The acquisition of NodeFly’s technology provides us with this capability plus rounds out our offering, bringing us closer to fulfilling our vision of a complete toolset for developing Node.js applications.
- The NodeFly service has been rebranded to StrongOps, to better match the naming scheme of StrongLoop’s other products.
- Behind the scenes, the NodeFly npm module has been renamed to “strong-agent”.
- The agent is now baked into StrongLoop’s distribution of Node.js. So, if you are running our distro, it just takes a single command to enable it.
- You’ll also see the registration and dashboard move to the StrongLoop site over the next month or so.
- In the future, you’ll be able to take full advantage of seamless integration between StrongNode and StrongOps. For example, the ability to leverage the enhancements StrongLoop has made to the node-inspector module, so you can perform debugging drill downs on Node processes being monitored by StrongOps.
Other than that, little will change in terms of the current service in the short term. In fact today we are pleased to announce a few updates…
Clustered Application Data
StrongOps is now aggregating the data for all the processes in your applications. No more sifting through an endless process list. You’ll see the aggregated statistics for all processes in the dashboard, with the continued ability to drill down to an individual processes using the filters on the left.
The profiler dashboard now provides an easy way to get detailed CPU data for an individual process.
Native EventLoop Statistics
The event loop statistics are now more accurate than ever! It can chart the average time taken by the eventloop and the slowest eventloop for that minute.
What Stays the Same?
The NodeFly team will continue to develop the NodeFly service as usual. Over the long haul, their mission remains unchanged. They will continue to build the best full service Node.js monitoring and management console in the industry. We believe this will complement many of the products that StrongLoop is developing.
In fact, we’ve just released a new version of our distribution, StrongNode with tons of cool features like advanced debugging, clustering and support for on-premise npm registries. You can read more about these new features in the StrongNode 1.1 announcement blog. NodeFly has attracted a loyal following of developers in a short period of time and we look forward to taking these next steps with an incredible new partner!
- Ready to develop APIs in Node.js and get them connected to your data? Check out the Node.js LoopBack framework. We’ve made it easy to get started either locally or on your favorite cloud, with a simple npm install.