The Node.js community along with StrongLoop, the leading provider of enterprise solutions for Node, are excited to announce the availability of Node v0.12. Today’s release includes improvements to the scalability, performance and availability characteristics of Node. This latest release will continue to help drive the rapid adoption of Node in the enterprise to build API servers, mobile backends plus emerging Internet of Things (IoT) applications.
New in this release
- Round-robin clustering – more efficient, scalable Node clusters
- Performance and optimization – faster Node applications
- Profiling APIs – improved memory management
- Multi-context – run multiple instances in a single process
- execSync – synchronous API for child processes
- Debugging clustered apps – with Node Inspector
For a complete overview of what’s new, check out the comprehensive “New Features in Node.js v0.12” page.
Node powers big brands
- API servers – the “glue” that connects devices and apps to data
- Internet of things (IoT) – the exponential rise of connected devices
- Web – HTTP servers and single page apps
This version of Node, with new and improved performance and clustering capabilities will further accelerate the adoption of Node within the enterprise.
StrongLoop’s outsized contribution to Node v0.12
StrongLoop engineers are the primary authors of many of the new enhancements in today’s release including support for round-robin clustering, multiple performance optimizations, profiling APIs, support for multiple instances in a single process, plus a new synchronous API for child processes. As on Jan 2015, StrongLoop founders Ben Noordhuis, Bert Belder and Raymond Feng along with engineers Miroslav Bajtos, Sam Roberts, and Ryan Graham made almost 460 commits comprising a total contribution of almost 664,000 lines of code to the latest release of Node. Individually, Ben Noordhuis delivered over double the amount of code than the second most prolific contributor.
This also means that over 64% of Node core is now owned by individual community contributors, not a corporation, including 36% by StrongLoop contributors,
With enterprise adoption comes the need for a more robust toolchain
Early production users such as PayPal, LinkedIn and Groupon discovered that the tools available to take applications and APIs from development to production are not mature. In response to this need, StrongLoop recently announced the availability of StrongLoop Arc which makes it easy for developers to visually develop, deploy, secure and scale REST APIs written in Node.
StrongLoop Arc is a graphical suite of components that are designed to work together to quickly take your API project from development to production. Features include:
- LoopBack: An open source framework for quickly creating APIs with Node and getting them connected to your data. LoopBack includes Angularjs, iOS and Android SDKs.
- Mobile Backend Services: An mBaaS to provide mobile services like push, offline-sync, geopoint and social login either on-premise or in the cloud.
- Connectors: Connectivity for Node apps leveraging over ten supported data sources including Oracle, SQL Server, MongoDB and SOAP.
- API Gateway: an open source intermediary gateway between API consumers (clients) and backend providers (API servers) that externalizes, secures, and manages APIs.
- DevOps Tools: tools for debugging, profiling and tracing Node apps using StrongLoop Arc.
- Deploy and Scale: Graphical and command line tools for building, deploying, clustering and scaling Node apps.
- Monitoring: A hosted or on-premise graphical console for monitoring resource utilization, response times and function tracing with the ability to send metrics to existing monitoring tools.