Node started 2014 already more popular than Ruby and Objective-C and with major successes at companies like Airbnb, DirecTV, Dow Jones, Mastercard, Netflix, PayPal, Uber, Walmart, and Yahoo.
In 2014 Node continued to pick up momentum
On the enterprise IT vendor side, some notable developments included:
- Red Hat purchased FeedHenry, a Node-based platform, making Red Hat a player in Node.
- Apigee endorsed Node building support for it into their API platform
- Oracle updated Node support with the JVM in Project Avatar at JavaOne 2014 and announced the Oracle Node Cloud Service
- F5 endorsed Node building support for it into their BIG-IP series
- MuleSoft released project Osprey, the first Node RAML implementation
- Amazon Lambda shipped with Node as its first platform
Community development continued its exciting pace of innovation:
- Node core had 17 maintenance releases and 595 commits
- NPM doubled from around 50K modules to over 110K modules
- Major server frameworks express, Connect, Hapi, LoopBack, and Sails each grew downloads 2X or more.
Enterprise usage also continues on the rise:
Dozens of major brands have adopted Node ranging from Apple to MetLife to Zappos. They are doing cool things like running their high-scale API infrastructure to support mobile and m-commerce apps to companies like GE whose appliances group released a Node SDK and a hardware module to enable developers to reprogram major appliances. And, we have contact with another 20 major organizations that are embracing Node on unannounced projects still in development pointing to a bright future for Node.
StrongLoop had a great year too
At StrongLoop we provide enterprise products and services around Node as well as being major supporters of the community at in-person events, code contributions to Node core, express, LoopBack and over 100 other modules. We saw our own ecosystem and customer base grow nicely:
- 40 developers passed the StrongLoop Certified Node Developers (SCND) exam
- LoopBack’s downloads grew 3X and mailing list subscribers 25X
- Our monthly website traffic tripled, and searches for StrongLoop doubled
- Our customer base grew 5X and revenues doubled every quarter
- We helped two household-name brick and mortar businesses go live and run millions of transactions through Node-powered systems
For a startup to be well into seven figure sales results with dozens of customers on our second year in business shows the strength of the Node ecosystem and we are grateful to the community for helping propel our business growth so we can continue to invest in Node.
What’s coming in 2015?
Our predictions for 2015 include:
- Node core governance stabilizing
- Node v0.12 will finally release and the pace of new innovations in Node core will increase
- Generators will go mainstream in Node
- StrongLoop will announce new partnerships with major enterprise vendors
- Investors will fund more Node-based businesses and one or more successful Node companies will be acquired
- Demand for Node jobs will more than double
- IoT and m-Commerce will continue their accelerating growth rate with Node emerging as the go-to framework for new APIs and integrations
- New Node solutions will be brought to market by IT mega vendors such as CA, IBM, Oracle, Microsoft, SAP, and Amazon
There is no doubt that 2015 is going to be another great year for Node!